What happens with EU driving licences post-Brexit?

26 February 2019

According to recent guidance from the Department of Transport, visitors with an EU or EEA driving licence will not need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the UK. As of the 29th March 2019, and in the event of a no-deal Brexit, current rules for EU and European Economic Area (EEA) licence holders who are visiting or living in Britain will not dramatically change.

Car and Motorcycle Licence

Those who are or become a UK resident while using an EU or EEA car or motorcycle licence can drive in the UK until they reach the age of 70, or for three years after becoming a resident here, whichever is the longer period. After that, an application must be made to exchange the European licence for a UK licence.

Bus Licence

Different restrictions apply to EU and EEA lorry or bus licences holders who are or become UK residents. EU lorry and bus licence holders can drive in the UK:

• If they are younger than 45, or for five years after becoming resident, whichever date is later.
• If they are over 45, but under 65, lorry and bus licence holders can drive in the UK until their 66th birthday or have lived in the UK for five years, whichever happens soon.
• If they are aged 65 or over, or until they have lived in the UK for 12 months.

Where did you take your driving test?

For those who passed their test in the EU or EEA and obtained an EU/EEA driving licence, the UK will continue to exchange their licence. However, EU and EEA licence holders who passed their test outside of the EU or EEA will have restrictions on licence exchange. As such, they may need to take a test in order to obtain a UK licence.

Contact our Specialist Road Traffic Lawyers in Glasgow, Edinburgh & Hamilton

With offices in Glasgow Saltmarket, West End, Edinburgh and Hamilton, Scullion LAW road traffic experts can help you. For first-class legal advice about driving in the UK, get in touch with one of our qualified road traffic lawyers today via the online enquiry form.